The Green League hosts open mic night for sustainability awareness

Ryan Kleber plays an acoustic original. Courtesy of Christie Dix

Christie Dix, Managing Editor

The Green League, William Paterson University’s multi-faceted environmental sustainability club, held an open mic night last Thursday, Sept. 26 in the Student Center Cafe. The focus of the event was to raise awareness of the benefits of composting, teach students how to compost, and start a campus-wide composting initiative. The event lasted 3 hours, with performances of music, poetry, and comedy.

With 60 students and friends in attendance, most seats in the cafe were filled. Liam Aylward, a club member and senior in the Environmental Science program at WPU, opened the performances with his acoustic guitar. 

Shana Foster, WPU student and manager of the sustainable garden committee, passed out jars with instructions explaining how to compost food waste. The future goal of the initiative is to have students who live on campus regularly composting, along with the restaurants on campus as well. Composting makes nutrient-rich soil that can be used in the garden, which was set up by the club last year on the Science Hall green.

“Hopefully we’re getting another garden soon,” Foster said.

“The main goal of this event was to try to promote composting in general and show how easy composting can be, and show people that the food you eat can be reused in a positive way,” said Ryan Wizner, president of The Green League.

There were other initiatives discussed between acts that the club has been working toward. The Sustainability Committee is collaborating with The Green League to improve recycling rates on campus as well. A petition was available for students to sign that urged WPU to take further action concerning the recycling issue on campus. There was a survey of how to better improve the ease of recycling on campus available as well.

“We can make an impact on resident life recycling. That’s one of our big things,” Wizner said.

Wizner hopes to educate students on what items are recyclable and get more recycling receptacles in the residence halls and food court.

William Paterson students from many backgrounds of music and performance came to the event to showcase their talents. 

Ryan Kleber, a junior and Psychology major, performed folk songs, singing with his acoustic guitar.

Jaburi Lockhart, a junior in the Popular Music program, who goes by the stage name “Jae,” performed an acapella cover of a Drake song, as well as one original song.

Caroline Sorber, a sophomore and Early Childhood Education major, performed 3 original poems about love and mental health.

Khalil King, a junior and Popular Music major, performed an original poem and an original song on the piano.

Ryan Hernandez and Andrew Wagner, both seniors in the award-winning WPU Jazz Music program, changed the pace of the performance with their instrumental jazz music.

WPU student Joshua Febler performed a comedy set that included jokes about Donald Trump and the struggle of being a comedian.

Camilo Cardinali, a senior and Communications major, who goes by the stage name ‘Chappoxx,” performed spoken word style poetry that had a musical element to it.

Brittany Pensa, a senior and English major, performed two covers singing with her acoustic guitar.

Cori Anokye-Boateng, a junior and Psychology major, also performed an acapella cover song.

WPU student Leilah Bueno performed cover songs with her ukulele.

There were also many performers who were not WPU students, but friends of the organization. These performers included Athenae Aliferis, John Simon, Andrew Nieparent, Chris Zak, and Sean Connolly.

Restore Native Plants, an organization that has worked with The Green League on their sustainable garden initiative, is hosting a trash clean up and invasive species removal at Ramapo State Park on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 9 A.M. Students will be able to sign up on the Campus Activities page on WPConnect.

On Friday, Oct. 4, at 9 A.M., Restore Native Plants will come to campus with fall blooming plants to plant in the garden outside Science Hall. All students are welcome.