WPU Sports Wrap-Up

Anthony Baamonde, Sports Editor

Some of William Paterson’s student athletes were busy this weekend, a handful of games were played that resulted in a 2-2-1 record in total for the Pioneers.

Women’s Volleyball

The William Paterson Women’s Volleyball team (7-6, 0-2 NJAC) played tough on September 26, losing 3-0 to Rowan University. Both teams went back and fourth in the first frame of the game. However, the Profs had a 10-1 run and took the opening frame from the Pioneers.

In the second frame, the Profs again took the frame 25-19. Eventually gaining a 6-1 lead in the third. The Pioneers hung on tough though, keep the margin to just two points behind.

Senior, Alyson Toman totaled eight kills. Sophomore, Jamie O’Shea recored seven kills. Junior Barbara Colizza had a team-high 15 digs in the game and her ninth double-digit game of the season.

Men’s Soccer

The Men’s Soccer team (3-3-2) suffered their third loss of the season against Franklin & Marshall College on September 25. Although Franklin & Marshall is a nationally-ranked team (No.6) the Pioneers played well, and came close to their second straight draw.

In the 23rdminute of play, the Diplomats started the scoring. However, Junior, Jordan Saling scored on a penalty kick only 44 seconds into the second half, tying the game 1-1. F&M then scored halfway through the double overtime to win the game.

Freshmen goalie, Thomas Hatch notched a season high, six saves. Jordan Saling, not only scored the tying goal, but five of his goals this year have come from the penalty kick.

Women’s Soccer

William Paterson’s Women’s Soccer team (4-2-2, 0-1-1 NJAC) took the field on September 25 to face Montclair State. The Pioneers gave up quality chances late in the game; they were able to manage a 2-2 draw at the end of double overtime.

Junior, Marisa Adelman started off the scoring by knocking a corner kick from, senior, Lorraine Moffitt in the 28thminute. At the 34thminute, senior forward, Corrine Bowe was able to juke her way past a defender to rocket in the second goal, making it 2-0. However, the Red Hawks were able to score no less than two-minutes after Bowe’s goal. The Red Hawks scored again to tie the game at 2-2 early in the second half.

Junior goalkeeper, Erica Hickey posted 10 stops for William Paterson, her fourth double-digit total of her career.

Field Hockey

The Field Hockey team scored themselves a 1-0 victory on September 25, against Union College. Senior, Shannon Super scored the only goal of the game in the 12thminute. While junior, Michaela Meillier recorded the assist.

Sophomore goalie, Tara Weniger totaled five saves in the match against the Dutchwomen. Weniger recorded her first career shuthout. William Paterson has one every matchup but one against Union since 2013. The William Paterson Field Hockey team is set to play on Tuesday, October 1, at 7:00 pm in Madison, NJ where they will take on FDU-Florham.