An inquiry on the nature of Kiss-ups

Lismery Luna, Copy Editor

There is always that one student in every class who everyone can spot: the kiss-up. They always have their books in order, they are first in every class to be there, front and center and the last to leave and it seems that every time the student speaks, there is a collective eye-roll.

What can another college student do if they have a student like this in their class? Is there anything done to relieve the other students from the unavoidable suffering they must endure in the semester?

Professors may like or enjoy talking about the material with these types of students because they allow for some sort of active participation within the course, which would make it more comfortable for other students to also participate since the proverbial “ice” has been broken.

It may seem that other students hate “kiss-ups,” but that is not the case. It is not that they hate the student. They hate that it seems like students who do this, whether intentional or not, are doing so to gain something out the potential relationship they are developing with a professor.

Yes, people have an innate desire to be liked. This amplifies on college campuses because first impressions can either make students stick out like sore thumbs or blend in with the other thousands of college students on the same campus, trying to get by and reach their coveted degree.

It is understandable why students either compliment their professors on their attire or the way these professors conduct their lessons. However, to do it in a way that receives eye rolls, audible sighs, and visible boredom doesn’t prove a superiority. No, it is not clever, nice, or warranted. It only serves to label them as a suck-up. Most students do not want a label like that, so why is there a few that demand this kind of attention?

Wouldn’t it be better if the professor gets a potential student, who wants desperately both a good grade and a possible network connection, to like them through natural interactions during class time or outside the classroom rather than sucking up every chance they get?

Then there’s the issue that a student may not have enough time to join a club on their campus because they are busy with other responsibilities, which means that the only time they have to make viable contacts is during or after class and with other students.

So, to reiterate the question: what should be done? For one thing, students can ignore what the other student is trying to do, however irritating this may be. Or a frustrated student can make their dissatisfaction known.

The best choice? Pay attention to the student and not their actions. Focus on the class and course material, and trust that the semester will soon be over.