ABC Revisits The Infamous Ted Bundy Case

courtesy of crimemuseum.org

Nicole Casal, Editor-in-Chief

“For even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light,” (2 Corinthians 11:14).

From religion to psychology, women are warned to be mindful of charismatic men. However, what leads us to trust a stranger simply because they have a captivating nature? This tendency allows cold-blooded killers to manipulate people and frighten a nation to its core. 

ABC’s 20/20 has the newest installment featuring one of America’s most notorious serial killers, Ted Bundy. Bundy’s case has intrigued and frightened the nation since the 1970s. The two-hour special premiered Feb. 15. 

Bundy admitted to committing at least 30 murders, although some experts believe that the body count is in the hundreds. He would kill college-aged women by abusing their good nature and gaining their trust. Bundy admitted to acts of necrophilia with many of his victims. The psychologists on the 20/20 special attribute his modus operandi (M.O.) to his rocky relationship with his mother. 

Bundy’s success was attributed to his charm and good looks. He was a law student and highly involved in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Bundy’s murdering spree spanned across seven states. He managed to escape from prison twice and subsequently increase his body count.  

Netflix recently purchased the rights to the film, “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile.” It is scheduled to be released on Netflix in late 2019. This film covers Bundy’s case from the view of his longtime girlfriend and former fiancee, Elizabeth “Liz” Kloepfer. Bundy is perfectly portrayed by Zac Efron. Casting Efron, a former child actor, was the ideal choice and sums up everyone’s fascination with Bundy as the attractive and educated church-going, family man. 

Throughout his whole trail, Bundy had a nauseating cockiness about him. He defended himself in court as a way to charm and manipulate the jury. Bundy’s arrogance exceeds expectations when he proposed to an old friend, Carole Ann Boone, whom he had called to the witness stand. 

Boone was overjoyed by Bundy’s romantic act and she agreed to marry him. Due to Florida law at the time, this was seen as a legal marriage. There were witnesses present to notarize the marriage. Despite the sentiment, the matrimony was not long as the trial ended with Bundy being sentenced to death by electrocution. 

Bundy’s law studies never prepared him for the death penalty. Witnesses say that Bundy was terrified to be sentenced to death. He found a way to have the date pushed back by admitting to the crimes he had committed and providing officers with the locations of the bodies. 

After viewing the 20/20 documentary, viewers are left with an unnerving feeling. Successful serial killers are the people we least expect them to be, any charming man you know could be the next Bundy.