The Future is Female

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

Yulliet Ruiz, Production Manager

The future is female… that is, according to the upcoming production of the “Vagina Monologues.” The theme of this year’s show will have a futuristic feel to it, showing that women are the future.

The show, originally written in 1996 by Eve Ensler, explores various topics like consensual and non-consensual sex, body image and reproduction, through the eyes of women from various walks of life. It originally premiered in 1996 at the HERE Arts Center in Off-off Broadway in New York.

Directed by students Samantha Cordero and Amanda Baez, the show will feature students performing the monologues about the different issues that women face. The show, which is overseen by Dr. Elizabeth Stroppel, has been performed at William Paterson University every year since 2000.

“I feel that the ‘Vagina Monologues’ this year are going to be different from past shows,” said Baez. “I want it to be all bright and fun, letting everyone know that we’re all stars and we’re all one.”

“I think that ‘Vagina Monologues’ is such an important and powerful show,” Cordero, a junior, said. “It talks about all these topics that people are afraid to touch and it gives a voice to a lot of issues.”

Matthew Diaz, a senior, has been performing in the show since he was a freshman.

“The show gave me pride in a part of my body I was always taught to feel shame about,” Diaz, 21, said. “I can’t speak to every one of trans men experience. But for me, it has also helped me heal in how I value this part of my body.”

Before even coming to WPU, transfer student Regan McClure was already interested in the show. “I saw an ad for it last year while researching WP and I didn’t know what it was but I knew it was for women empowerment so I was interested.”

The Women’s Center also helps oversee the show, providing support to the production.

“We’ve been in communication with Helena Sir from the Women’s Center and she’s been a really great guide for it all,” Cordero said.

The Women’s Center is an on-campus resource that helps educate the campus about gender issues. Located in Room 313 of the Student Center, the office serves to empower the campus community and help provide them with resources relevant to women’s issues and gender issues.

The show will be in the Black Box theater on March 5 and 6, coinciding with Women’s History Month. Admittance into the show will be free.