Clubs Corner: Animation Club Brings Vision to Life

From the left: Nicole Lostaunau, Alexander Velasco, Angel Branch, Maria Morena and Kyle Dupuis

Rebecca Lorenzo, Copy Editor

On the computer screen, Animation Club Founder Kyle Dupuis eagerly pulls up a brief walking sequence created with love from the minds in the room. Frame by frame appears as a human on a white backdrop rapidly switches forms from male, to female, to worker, to alien, to any other figure. Though the character changes, the walking entity remains one.

Though the cartoon is a mere 16 seconds, Dupuis stresses this was no easy feat. One second of footage requires 24 frames, meaning 24 individual drawings per second. For one minute of footage, 1440 drawings are needed, he said.

The club banded in late October and is still in its infancy. So what is the magic behind movement? How did the small group in the room create the clip in a month?

“Collaboration,” said Dupuis. “You need to collaborate if you want to animate because it’ll either take forever or it’ll never get done.”

Collaboration is the genius behind the Animation Club and it shows. A sense of air, relaxation and friendship sets a vibe that is welcoming. Evidently, friendship is the hub of the club.

Shortly after, a debate erupts in the room.

“I feel like its so bad, it’s good now,” Dupuis shoots back at a defense of new “Family Guy” episodes. “I like watching it because I am like, wow, I want to see how bad it is.”

A new club with big goals

Evidently, sick projects and deep conversation are at the heart of the Animation Club. A self-proclaimed “lax,” guy, Dupuis created an environment for people to build their resumes while delving into talks of their favorite cartoons.

According to Dupuis, he had an itch for animation while in film and art clubs earlier in the semester. With the combined efforts of other animation majors in the club, they joined forces to create a safe space to collaborate and debate.

Next semester, Dupuis has plans to teach newcomers animation and create bigger projects. He hopes to create a lip sync, a ball bouncing clip, making a collaboration project or having individuals make their own movies, he said.

Animation Club is for artists of any level.

Not confident in your animating ability? Fear not: the club welcomes newbies looking to learn. Maria Morena is one of several in the club learning to animate for the first time. Surprisingly, Adobe Animate is similar to Adobe Photoshop, she said. Furthermore, she found a new passion.

“It’s just seeing your character coming to life in general because you’re used to seeing them just in one space and just one pose,” Morena said. “Then you’re seeing them move and it’s, just like wow, it’s alive!”

There is no experience bracket for the Animation Club-anyone with a passion is welcome to join. The club is seeking voice actors, people for sound effects, storyboard, and even just good company.

“You could still have a big part in the club even if you don’t know how to animate… even if you don’t like any of [those roles], come during the meeting and we just talk about cartoons,” said Morena. 

As we grow into adulthood, it is easy to lose touch with our true interests. Luckily, the Animation Club re-animates childhood interests and brings them to life.

“Everybody sort of falls back into love with animation again once they hit college because they like cartoons again,” he said. “So if you like cartoons and wanna talk about that with other people this is definitely the club for you.”

The Animation Club is a haven for your wildest imagination. Meetings are open to potential members every Thursday from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Room 204 in the Ben Shahn building.