Racist Post Rocks WPUNJ Greek Community

WPUNJ Shocked by Student’s Racist Remarks

Jacob Martinez, Managing Editor

William Paterson’s Greek community is under heavy fire after one of its leading members posted a racially insensitive video on social media.

In the video, which surfaced early Sunday morning, WPUNJ student Jasmine Barkley asks viewers whether saying the “N” word is allowed when she is “singing the lyrics” to a song. While Barkley records the video, an unidentified woman continues to say the “N” word in the background. The same unidentified woman is seen in another post offering sexually explicit instructions for anyone who is offended by her discriminatory comments.

Shortly after the videos were reposted by multiple WPUNJ students around Twitter and Instagram, Vice President for Student Development Miki Cammarata released a statement denouncing Barkley’s racially charged posts.

The Greek Senate Executive Board also published a post informing the WPUNJ community of their opposition to “any form of discriminatory behavior” from its members. The Board mentions how the situation will “not be taken lightly” and describes Barkley’s actions as “significantly ignorant.”

Barkley has failed to respond to any contact made to her and has since deleted her Instagram account.

The Beacon will be releasing more information regarding the incident as details continue to develop.