The Places You Will Go

wwlp.com

David Hunter, Staff Writer

Spring break is just on the horizon. Most students at William Paterson are excited for the much needed week off. While much of that time will be spent on noneducational activities, it is important to be aware that March is National Reading Awareness month.

For most college students finding the time for leisurely reading is difficult. With all the course reading a student has to do, it saps them of the energy for more reading. Although reading is an activity that is mostly met with chagrin by students, it is an essential part of their learning, not just in school, but for the rest of their lives.

According to Nick Gramiccioni, a Resident Director, “The most important thing for a college student to consider while they are reading is to find something outside their schoolwork. There are a lot of things we need to do, but a lot of the things we find enjoyment from are ones that are outside of that realm. As tough as it is going to be, find something you enjoy and keep doing it. All the things that go with reading: comprehension, criticalness, drive, all go with continuing to read.”

Reading can be an enjoyable and entertaining experience. There is a vast variety of content that range from biographical non-fiction to science fiction. As dry as you think your textbooks are, there are books filled with juiciness at the other side of the spectrum.

Although a significant amount of college students desire to avoid visiting the library, it is a great resource for both studying and leisure. It is a service that a student pays in his or her tuition to maintain. Therefore, one should use those services. The rows of books are not all academic; there are readings that can entertain you if you give them a chance.

The rewards of reading are exponential. According to The Atlantic, “studies have found that the more immediate benefits of reading include an increased tolerance for uncertainty.” In that sense, reading can be therapeutic. For college students, a lot of matters are uncertain in life. Reading can be a relaxing activity that allows for reflective and critical thought.

Pick up a book when you have the time. It can be any type of book: non-fiction or fiction. Content such as comic books, graphic novels and manga are forms of reading too. These genres have a wide range of audiences, from young children to adults. With new technologies, you do not even have to use print anymore. People are able to read books off of their tablet, using apps such as Kindle.

Dr. Seuss said, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Let a book take you places you never would have imagined.