Pioneer Baseball Team Looks to Salvage 0-2 Start

Christopher Molina, Contributing Writer

After dropping a 7-4 decision, losing on a walk-off, 3-run home run, to Steven’s Institute of Technology on Opening Day (2/24) and falling short against Drew University, 2-1 on Wednesday, the William Paterson University baseball team sat in an 0-2 hole to start off the 2018 season.

In regards to their play over their first two games, Pioneer head coach, Mike Lauterhahn noted that the team did not play to the level of which they are capable of.

“From an offensive standpoint we struck out too much,” Lauterhahn said. “We played well defensively, but we walked eight guys. We have to be more efficient on the mound and make sure we trust in our defense and allow them to make plays because we can defend well.”

Although the Lauterhahn and the Pioneers expected to their season off on a different note, the skipper acknowledged that the beginning of the season is sometimes a learning curve for everyone involved.

“Obviously you don’t like losing, and it’s something that we make sure we don’t do a whole lot of,” said Lauterhahn. “The freshman were a little nervous with it being their first time in the college atmosphere but they seem like they will be able to get used to their new environment over time which will help them be more productive.”

The Pioneers took on Baruch College on Thursday, desperately needing a win to avoid an 0-3 start to the season.

After falling behind 1-0 in the top of the first, the Pioneer offense exploded for five runs in the home half of the frame, for a 5-1 advantage.  After both teams were held scoreless over the next two frames, the Pioneers capitalized on three Baruch errors to outscore the Bearcats 8-1 0ver the final four frames, as the Pioneers secured a 13-2 victory before the game was called after the top of the 8th inning due to darkness.

“It was great to get out there and just beat up on a team,” Pioneer second baseman, Matt Ferrara said. “We were very desperate for a win, and coach always said the first one is the hardest to get.”

Moving forward, the Pioneers look to build some momentum as they prepare to take on more formidable teams over the course of their Spring Break trip to Florida and New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) play, which begins the last weekend of March.

The Pioneers take on the Keene State College Owls in a pair of seven inning games on Sunday, March 4 at Jeff Albies Field, located on the campus of William Paterson University in Wayne, NJ. First pitch is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.