You won’t believe what songs are turning 10 this year

A look back at some of the greatest hits from 2008 that are now turning 10 years old.

John Fiorino, Entertainment Editor

These types of lists happen every year. The “I can’t believe these songs are that old already!” list. That being said, it has to remain relatively short and we will choose the ones we feel are most deserving.

Flashback to 10 years ago. A large amount of us students were in middle school or just entering high school, so many memories (probably three good ones). The best memories have to revolve around the music though. 2008 was a huge year for music with artists that broke out and would top the charts for years to come. For others, it marked a takeover or simply just another hit in their repertoire. Here are some of the many songs turning 10 years old this year.

10. “You’re Gonna Miss This” – Trace Adkins

This song is probably not one people thought of when thinking of this list but it had to be mentioned. “You’re Gonna Miss This” did not make it much onto the radio waves on 92.3 or Z100 at the time, but this slow country song is still played on 94.7 Nash FM to this day. Adkins sings about a girl who can’t wait to grow up in all parts of life. The song opens about her in high school, buying her first house and then dealing with her kids. Each time it comes back to slowing down and just enjoying where you are in life. A lesson people don’t tend to learn until they’re much older and think “where did the time go”? If you haven’t listened to this before, take it from a hip-hop fan’s perspective, it’s worth the listen.

9. “Sexy Can I” – Ray J and Yung Berg

“It’s a Kodak moment let me go and get my camera” is part of one of the most iconic choruses from 2008 hip-hop. It was hard to turn on the radio and not hear this song at least twice in an hour and of course, sing along to it. This ended as the 11th song on the Billboard Hot 100. At least Ray J was polite to ask about everything.

8. “When I Grow Up” – The Pussycat Dolls

It’s safe to say that just about every girl, big or small, was listening to this everyday and knew all the lyrics for it. The Pussycat Dolls was the girl group everyone was talking about. The song would come off their second and final studio album, “Doll Domination.” The lead single, “When I Grow Up,” was far and away their biggest from the CD. So girls, ten years ago were you careful what you wished for? You just might’ve gotten it.

7. “I Kissed A Girl” – Katy Perry 

This song was huge for the time it was made. Perry was just breaking into the music scene when she released her album via MySpace. “I Kissed A Girl” was met with controversy due to it’s homophobic nature on the radio. However, “I Kissed A Girl” stuck at the top. At the Billboard Hot 100 end of the year rankings, it sat at no. 14. “Hot ‘N Cold” is there too, but 22 spots away at 36. This was ultimately huge for Perry’s career.

6. “Love In This Club” – Usher and Young Jeezy

Similar to “Sexy Can I,” Usher made this club jam that where everyone slowed down and got close. Usher’s voice was so smooth over the beat for “Love In This Club” that no one else could replicate it otherwise it would feel wrong. Synth and vocal heavy, the lead single from his fifth studio album, “Here I Stand” climbed the charts and at year’s end finished at no. 8.

5. “Take A Bow” – Rihanna

“Good Girl Gone Bad” was released in 2007 but “Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded” was released in 2008 making this bonus track, 10 years old. “Take A Bow” is a song that stood for women all over the world who are going through a break-up. To make it even more powerful, the video debuted in 2009 after the singer’s abusive relationship with Chris Brown. The man asking for forgiveness in the video bares a striking resemblance to Brown.

4. “Love Story” – Taylor Swift

Before there was “You Belong With Me” there was “Love Story.” This would serve as the lead single from Swift’s second, and one of her biggest studio albums to this day, “Fearless.” This single was the first step towards stardom for the young singer who debuted in 2006. “Love Story” would start putting her name everywhere and on every major station for the next decade. I hope who she was talking to said yes.

3. “Heartless” – Kanye West

Despite the nature of hip-hop back in 2008, the whole album of “808s and Heartbreaks” still felt way ahead of it’s time. “Heartless” uses a tremendous arrangement by West with powerful lyrics about a girl who wronged him. Another song with an incredible chorus and one of the most well-known West songs to this day. The animated video with it’s vibrant colors makes the whole futuristic experience even better.

2. “Lollipop” – Lil Wayne

The lead single from “Tha Carter III” is still one of the most addictive Lil Wayne songs ever made. “Lollipop” perfectly summarizes hip-hop at the time for thanks to it’s heavy use of auto-tune. Weezy would make this one of his biggest effects in his songs as it worked well with his raspy voice. The song would go on to hit no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, Billboard Hot Rap Songs and Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. It won a Grammy Award in 2009 for the Best Rap Song category.

Honorable Mentions

“Whatever You Like” – T.I.

This is another display of what 2008 hip-hop was all about. T.I.’s voice blended on the track perfectly as he wooed the girl with whatever she wanted like stacks on deck or Patron on ice. In the song’s third week it made history by making the biggest jump on the Billboard Hot 100 chart ever from 71 to 1.

“Let It Rock” – Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne

By far Rudolf’s biggest hit and a fantastic pump up song before the rec sport you played when you were 12 or so. It blended a branch of modern rock and rap flawlessly.

“Closer” – Ne-Yo

In the mid to late 2000s Ne-Yo was pumping out hit after hit. His 2008 album, “Year Of The Gentlemen” had a couple hits on it, but “Closer” was the biggest ranking at 20 on the year-end charts. The runner-up from his album was “Miss Independent” at no. 57.

“Crank That (Soulja Boy)” –  Soulja Boy Tell’em

Still the most viewed and searched for Soulja Boy Tell’em song of all-time on YouTube. Everyone knew the “Superman” and if you didn’t, just watch the video, you’ll get it.

“Viva La Vida” – Coldplay

Coldplay has been around since 2000 and every time an album is released there are at least a few quality songs. “Viva La Vida” is one of Coldplay’s biggest hits ever from their fourth studio album “Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends.”

1. “Low” – Flo Rida and T-Pain

“She had them apple bottom jeans…” If you didn’t finish the lyric in your head then you somehow didn’t enjoy the hottest song of 2008.  As soon as the first note hit, everyone knew the next four minutes were going to be crazy. If you didn’t know much of the lyrics in the verses, that was fine. The chorus was the only part that mattered. This was at everything from bat and bar mitzvahs, quinceaneras, sweet 16’s or just everyday parties. On top of that, it’s still a great song to play at any party today to get everyone moving.