Why Birds Need to Be More Appreciated

Ducklings

onf.coop

Whitney Wu, Contributing Writer

A topic that most people don’t consider is birds, which are amazing. William Paterson students may only know of the geese on campus, but there are more than 10,000 species of birds on Earth. Very few people appreciate just how great they are.

While nobody exactly knows where they originated from, birds are thought to have evolved from dinosaurs, with scientific findings backing up this theory.

Visually, looking at an ostrich or an emu can make you think of a velociraptor because of their similar body shape, while everything from their egg structure, skeletons and lungs show that they are connected. A recently discovered feathered dinosaur points further to this evolutionary link. Because dinosaurs are cool, birds are cool by extension.

Birds are also a key component in nature.

Thousands of species have been discovered and each has a different impact on the environment. Each species has a varied diet, including, but not limited to, seeds, insects, fish and even other birds.

Smaller species may even be food for other animals as well. This helps to curb overpopulation and stabilize the delicate balance of the ecosystem. Like bees, they also help with pollination. The process keeps flowers and plants thriving, making the world a more beautiful place.

Birds also make wonderful pets.

A pet bird is not for everyone, as some species, such as cockatoos, are very loud and do scream when they need something. However, this isn’t so different than a pet dog barking.

However, these pets do communicate well with their owners, some singing and chirping, and some with actual words. They can live for many years, depending on the species. Parakeets can live up to 10 years, and some parrots can even live up to 50 years if they are cared for properly. It is a commitment, time and money-wise, as are all pets. But they make excellent, fun companions and are worth the investment.

Last but not least, birds are really cute.

When people think of cute animals, dogs and cats often come to mind, but birds have many charming features if you take the time to look at them. They have a shiny feather coat with fluffy down feathers underneath that are surprisingly soft to touch.

Have you ever seen a bird sleep? Some tuck their heads under their wings when sleeping to keep warm and it’s adorable. Some baby birds, such as ducklings, imprint on their mothers when they hatch. If you’re the first creature a duckling sees, you’re its mother now and it will follow you everywhere. If that isn’t adorable, I don’t know what is.

Wrens are small enough to fit in a cup and are 70 percent fluff. Penguins look like they’re wearing little tuxedos and are always dressed for a party. Even the William Paterson geese are cute, with their deep eyes and relaxed waddling across campus.

There’s no end to the many delightful qualities that birds have.

Birds are not appreciated enough in today’s society. They are essential animals in every ecosystem in the world, are great companions and are so cute. Birds are amazing and more people need to realize it.