College Radio Day Another Victory for Brave New Radio

worldcollegeradioday

worldcollegeradioday

William Paterson’s award-winning radio station, Brave New Radio participated in the seventh annual World College Radio Day. Featuring 24-hour original programming ranging from live music to sports talk.

This is one of the busiest days of the year for the folks at the campus station. The students and management staff plan the event for weeks. From sponsors to the remote broadcast at Sticks and Stones, a local bar, the entire staff works tirelessly to make the event a success.

Sebastian Escobar, the station manager, helped coordinate the 24-hour marathon. Including the live broadcast from Sticks & Stones Live Music Bar which closed out the event. Escobar admitted that his job was easier due to the students dedication to making the day a success.

“It’s extremely uplifting to see the future generations still remain passionate about radio itself,” said Escobar.

College Radio Day is one of the biggest events around campus every year and has continued to gain national recognition. “Elvis Duran and the Morning Show” were bl by Brave New Radio’s sound. Duran and the rest of his staff were very impressed with the quality of the content that students were creating.

“They sound awesome,” said Duran during his Friday morning broadcast.

Throughout the day, students held hour long shows that displayed the variety at Brave New Radio. There were shows dedicated to popular bands like Pink Floyd, while local bands were also featured. The local hour tied into the general theme of this year’s College Radio Day, “Passionately Vocal, Seriously Local”.

Bridget Charlton, a sophomore, hosted an hour long version of her specialty show, “The Spin Cycle”. Charlton kicks it old school and plays CDs and vinyl records on her show. Here College Radio Day show did feature a few special twists. Including four DJs from the station that discussed their favorite female bands in her “Bad Ass Babes of Rock ‘n’ Roll” program.

Justin McHugh, a senior and the sports director at Brave New Radio hosted “A Basketball Party” where he and other members of the sports department discussed some of the biggest questions around the National Basketball Association. Including their thoughts on LaVar Ball as a father and the clouded future of the New York Knicks.

“This is definitely a moment I will cherish for the rest of my life,” said McHugh. “Putting all of our minds together to work on College Radio Day is always a ton of fun.”

With all of the music content going on throughout the day, McHugh and his team brought something different to the table. Allowing the sports fans in the station to have a platform to speak their mind.

Brave New Radio has continued to impress since winning the IBS Award for being the best college radio station in the United States.