WPU Women’s Center Hosts 22nd Annual Breast Cancer Walk

Jeff Lombardi Jr., Sports Editor

The William Paterson University Women’s Center held its 22nd annual breast cancer awareness walk in Zanfino Plaza on Thursday afternoon.

The event garnered participation from approximately 200 students which included representatives from all 13 NCAA affiliated sports teams in addition to many of the Greek life organizations.

Bryan Kopko, a senior pitcher on the University’s baseball team, recognized the importance of coming together as a campus community to support a good cause, “All of us on this team have been affected by breast cancer in one way or another.  Whether it’s someone in our family or a family friend, it affects everyone,” Kopko said.  “To be able to make an effort like participating in a walk and donating money, no matter the amount, it feels great and it definitely makes a difference.”

According to the WPUNJ Nursing Department & Recreational Services, roughly 292,130 women and 2,350 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer, while more than 40,000 women and more than 400 men in the U.S. are expected to die from the disease in the year 2017.  Furthermore, about one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.

Ashley Bujalski, a third-year graduate assistant for the women’s center, acknowledged the significance of the event and expressed her pleasure with the participation from both men and women of the community.

“To me, it raises awareness on a super important issue and we actually donate to Susan G. Komen for the Cure or The National Breast Cancer Foundation or the American Cancer so it really is a great cause,” Bujalski said.  

The Women’s Center provides additional information in regards to breast cancer including ways of prevention.  Three main points include: exercising between 11 to 19 hours a week, which can lower your risk up to 30%, drinking less alcohol as women who consume alcohol have an increased risk of developing breast cancer and making sure you maintain your body through self-breast examinations, in addition to informing your doctor of any changes.

Theresa A. Bivaletz, the campus victim services coordinator for the Women’s Center recognized the importance of the campus community coming together for a cause that hits home for most.

“It truly can affect anyone no matter who you are,” Bivaletz said.  “The fact that younger and younger women are contracting breast cancer makes it easier for students to relate to something that their peers or people that are close to them have dealt with.”

According to the women’s center, donations from the event totaled approximately $3,500.

Cameron Dodds
The William Paterson University Women’s Center hosted its 22nd Annual Breast Cancer Walk on Thursday