White Nationalism Discussed at Constitution Day Talk

Dr. Stephen Eric Bronner. Photo courtesy of Yulliet Ruiz

Yulliet Ruiz, News Editor

On September 20, Dr. Stephen Eric Bronner spoke to William Paterson University students on Constitution Day with a talk entitled, “Beyond All Reason: White Nationalism, Trump the Spirit of the Law” Bronner’s lecture dealt with how people have left reason and evidence in politics, as well as how President Trump fueled white supremacists and neo-fascist forces. He also spoke about racism and its roots in American society.

Bronner’s lecture dealt with how people have left reason and evidence in politics, as well as how President Trump fueled white supremacists and neo-fascist forces. He also spoke about racism and its place in American society.

Dr. Bronner is a Board of Governors professor of political science at Rutgers University. He has published more than 25 books and 200 journal articles.

“It was a great experience. He was very enlightening and spoke about topics no one talk about,” said Annaliss Candelaria, legal studies major. “It’s important to educate the masses.”

This event was sponsored by the American Democracy Project in association with the provost’s office in honor of Constitution Day. The American Democracy Project (ADP) is an initiative across colleges to create more civically engaged undergraduates.

Dr. Christine Kelly, a political science professor at William Paterson and the director of the ADP on campus, set up the lecture.

“People fall prey slogans. It’s important to not get mesmerized by hatred and inflammatory rhetoric,” she said.

After the lecture, students were able to sit down and eat at a post-talk luncheon. Joining them was a high school civics class from Pioneer Academy in Wayne, New Jersey taught by alumni from William Paterson. The luncheon, entitled “Is Voting Enough?” broached many different topics, including education, voting, the millennial generation, and free speech. Students were able to discuss these topics with Bronner as well as other professors who were there.

“Emphasis needs to placed on building solidarity, combating prejudices and white supremacists while also preserving free speech with regards to the spirit of the law,” said Edwin Jacobs, a doctoral candidate who works with Bronner, about the talk.

“Young people vote when spoken to so talks like these are important,” said Kelly

“Work with organizations. Work together and listen to one another and make your world bigger, educationally and socially,” said Bronner. “Be the activist you can be proud of.”