The Clothesline Project

In Honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Albert Bustos, Art Editor

On April 11 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., Campus Violence Prevention Program and the Women’s Center co-sponsored the “Clothesline Project” at Zanfino Plaza. The project is one of many events taking place in the month of April which is Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

The Clothesline Project is a program started in Cape Cod, MA, in 1990 to address the issue of violence against women. Women who are affected by violence can decorate and write on the t-shirts in order to express themselves and to give testimony to the problem.

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, the SAAM Movement began in the late 1970s. Women in England held protests against the violence they faced on the streets. The protests and marches were called Take Back the Night and soon this spread across other countries.

In 1978, San Francisco and New York held their first “Take Back the Night” events. Overtime SAAM grew to include issues of sexual violence against men and men’s role in ending sexual violence.

In addition to the “Clothesline Project,” Campus Victim Services Coordinator, Theresa A. Bivaletz explained the 100 to 1 display that was put in Zanfino Plaza. It represents a study that shows out of 100 rape cases only 1 rapist will ever spend time in jail or prison.

The display that represented people had a message attached to each of them that tells the reasons why they didn’t report their rape experience. Reasons vary such as feeling guilt, shame, or just dealing with an overwhelming justice system here in America.

This is why it is important to bring awareness and to support those who have survived sexual assault ordeals.

If you’ve experienced sexual assault email Theresa Bivaletz at [email protected] or give her a call at 973-720-2578.

For further information about SAAM visit: www.nsvrc.org