Breaking News
William Paterson University's Official Student-Run Newspaper

The Beacon

The Beacon

The Beacon

The Pioneer’s former offensive coordinator moves down to the Golden State

A former professional kicking prospect and offensive coordinator moved down to California to work as an assistant coach.  

Tim Sternfield, former William Paterson offensive coordinator, decided to move down to Claremont College to take over as their quarterbacks coach. 

“We wish him all the best. But we’re excited for the opportunity to get a new perspective in here, a new football mind in here that’ll help move our offense in the direction that we like to see,” head coach Shaun Williams said. 

Since joining the team in 2022, he has served as a Co-Recruiting Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach in addition to his offensive coordinator duties

He recruited many of the Pioneer’s current players in his recruiting position.

“Of course, we’re going to miss Coach Stern; he’s a great guy off the field and even on the field, he was just like a very supportive coach. And the guy that you know everybody had a good relationship with. So he’ll be missed,” Rising junior Defensive back James Nevles said. “I haven’t seen much of a switch. Everybody’s still bought in. I’m saying everybody’s looking forward to the change and seeing what’s going to happen.”

Sternfield played high school football at Ramapo, serving as their kicker after all-star kicker Ross Krautman, who moved on to play at Seracuse University and was the brother of WPU alum Ricky Krautman. 

He later went on to kick at Stevenson University, where he had a total of 195 career points and earned a second-team all-conference selection.

Post college Sternfield went on to be invited for workouts from the Giants. 

Prior to 2019-21, Sternfeld served as the recruiting coordinator and special teams coordinator at Stevenson University and was the tight ends/specialties coach in 2017-18. He was also the recruiting coordinator and offensive line coach at Johns Hopkins in 2019 and the running backs and specialties coach and video coordinator in 2018.

Tommy Sherwood is the Editor and Chief for the Beacon. For information regarding this or other stories, email [email protected] or DM @TommySherwood03 on X.